When it comes to home repairs, having your roof replaced is one of the most important projects there is. It may not seem like it since having a new roof put on your home isn’t exactly the most exciting project to do but if your existing roof was to fail and the inside of your home was being water damaged, it wouldn’t take long for you to put a roof replacement project at the top of your priority list. Repairing water damage can be very expensive even for some of te smallest leaks. Water damage due to your roof failing can be more expensive then a roof-replacement so it’s wise to have a replacement done. This is why roof replacement projects should never be a home repair that should ever be delayed and should be taken very seriously.
The type of roofing materials you choose is usually based on what your personal preferences and taste are but it can also depend on where you are located. For an example, asphalt shingles are most commonly used in the Northeast region of the U.S. because it helps insulate against the extremely cold temperatures in the areas winter months. Asphalt shingles are also able to support the weight of snow as it collects on the roof. However, homes in the Southeast region of the U.S. are commonly found with metal roofing because metal roofing is a versatile roofing material that can be used in several architectural styles. It is also a durable option for storms since the Southeast region of the U.S. is no stranger to a tropical storm or hurricanes. While selecting the roofing material you will use for your roof replacement project, be sure that you keep the pitch of your roof in mind as well as the pitch of your roof can also affect what materials can or cannot be used. Here are a few of the most popular selections for residential roofing.
– Asphalt Shingles are the most popular and are extremely cost-effective but have a flat appearance compared to other options making them the less attractive option.’
– Metal Roofing has been growing in popularity over the past few years since its steel construction offers durability as well as being fireproof. Metal roofs are moderately expensive and can require a specialty roofing contractor who is experienced in installing metal panels in roofing applications but since the lifespan is so much longer than traditional roofing, metal roofing can be the more cost-effective selection.
– Slate roofing is a very heavy roofing material and is on the pricey side as it is a high-end option but are not easily repaired if it is damaged.
The Roofing Process and Hiring The Right Roofing Company
2802 Vance Jackson Rd
San Antonio, TX 78213
If you want to be sure that you hire the right crew for your roof repair project, make educated decisions by having a general understanding of the roofing trade and how the roof replacement process works. A decent-sized roof replacement job that is installed by professionals might only take a few days.
– A decent roofing crew will protect your surrounding plants and shrubs with tarps before getting started as the tear off of your roof can be messy. The existing shingles are removed and thrown into a dumpster for removal from your property. Drip edging and valley flashing will also be removed at this time.
– Once the existing roofing is removed, the roof underlayment can be inspected for any minor flaws or replacing plywood sheathing if it is necessary.
– The next step is for the ice dam protection to be installed in regions that require it. Melting ice can back up underneath your shingles and penetrate through the sheathing of your roof where the moisture damage can be severe. An ice guard is a barrier material that is waterproof and designed to prevent this from happening.
– Roofing paper is laid down over the roof sheathing and layered to overlap to create a barrier against water penetrating through your roof and into your house. New drip edge is installed over the roofing paper and shingles are applied to start at the edges of your roof and progress up to the peak. Flashings around any chimneys or venting are installed to prevent any leaking.
– The ridge vent is installed along the peak of your roof and a final cleanup is done by the roofers and the debris and dumpsters containing your old roof are hauled away.